Remember that this weekend marks the First Bi-State IL/IA Multicultural Wedding Expo 2011 the first of its kind in our area! Here are the details:
SUNDAY, AUGUST 28 from 10 am to 3 pm
Location: Hotel Blackhawk in Davenport, IA
Tickets are $5 each (if you buy 5 or more)
$8 individual ticket in advance
$10 at the door.
We are looking forward to seeing you there! Recently we were able to pick the brains of the masterminds behind this amazing event, and here's what they had to say:
1. The Quad Cities community is fairly diverse, and is more so every year. How did you determine that now is the time for this event? 2 main factors motivated us to organize this event now. More bi-cultural relationships are happening as a result of professional relocation or immigration to the area, so couples have difficulty finding a nice and harmonic way to blend two cultures in one wedding ceremony. The second motivator is that some of our clients brought to our attention that they did not feel represented or welcomed in some local bridal shows. We decided then to create this amazing event that embraces diversity and inclusion, where our goal is to make every single person feel welcomed, and able to find the high quality services or/and products they are looking for.
2. What will brides, grooms and their family/friends be able to see/do at this expo that is new and different? They will have interpreters available (at least in Spanish, French and Portuguese); they will see a fashion show that will represent the main cultures found in the QC area; they will have a chance to win prizes from other countries; they will have an opportunity to participate in a multicultural business networking event and a Gala the night before, and they will have an opportunity to share their stories in our website.
3. What do the vendors have to say about the Multicultural Wedding Expo? How many vendors are expected to attend the weekend event?
The vendors are very excited with the opportunity to showcase their businesses to a diverse clientele. They are also excited that they will have 2 workshops the day before to prepare them to work more effectively with people from cultures different than theirs. We are not thinking about quantity, but quality. We are limiting our number of vendors to 40.
4. Why is the Quad Cities a great area for a multicultural wedding?
Many people from other countries relocate to this area because of big multinational corporations that are here. My own story is an example of it. I moved to the area from Brazil, because my husband works for John Deere. Cross-cultural relocation is one of the services provided by Global Awareness Consulting, so we have the opportunity to meet lots of expats who come to the Quad Cities area from other countries. Adding to this group, we will find international students, other immigrants, and refugees. Another important factor is that same sex marriage is legal in Iowa, so couples from other states come to the area for their wedding celebrations.
5. Bridal fashion shows are always fun! What are some of the countries and cultures that will have their wedding apparel trends featured? What attire will be featured in particular?
We will have models from the USA, Mexico, India, China, Senegal and maybe other cultures. We will focus on brides and grooms, but will also have flower girl, ring bearer, bridesmaids and best men and parents of the couple. Expect to see a beautiful and colorful show! Don't miss it!
We are going to be there, and we hope we see you all there too!