Finally! We've broken through the winter/spring rut of groggy days and murky weather to beautiful sunshine and warm temps...REALLY warm temps! Yesterday, my (non-airconditioned) office thermostat let me know that it was a lovely 87 degrees. While us summer brides may love the warmth, our guests may have mixed feelings about traveling or sitting outside on a summer day. And while the day IS in fact for the bride and groom, ya gotta keep those guests happy as well. Children, pregnant woman, or elderly guests can are more easily affected by extreme temps as well.
Here are some tips to keep those guests cool and happy...
1) Alert your guests to the fact that your wedding is outside, if that is the case. Knowing ahead of time that they will be sitting outside in July will give guests a chance to make appropriate outfit choices.
2) Consider portable shelters or air conditioning. It's amazing how far venue supply rentals have come. You can rent tents that have misters or even air conditioning units to keep the cool air flowing.
3) Avoid metal. Some rental companies offer metal chairs which could burn someone if left out in the sunny weather. Opt for plastic or wooden chairs if possible. Heat can easily scorch someone's bare skin or even go through some lighter clothing.
4) Give out "cool" favors such as sunscreen, blotting papers, handkerchiefs, fans, parasols, or water bottles.
5) Keep the cool drinks flowing. Iced beverages taste especially nice on a hot day.
So this is just a start... There are tons of other things that you can do to keep your guests happy! Remember - happy guests equal great photographs, good groove on the dance floor, and fantastic memories of your wedding day!